The IdiPAZ OTRI was registered in the Inter-ministerial Commission of Science and Technology on 9 July 2010 with number 239 and with the aim that all knowledge and applied research that has been developed for years in IdiPAZ reflects and returns to society and assumes a direct benefit in improvement of patient care.
The activities carried out by the OTRI can be divided into four major blocks:
A. Fostering a culture of protection of innovative ideas and research results, which is a booster for a better commercial exploitation of future ‘innovation’. Facilitating and promoting collaboration between the researchers of the Institute with other researchers from other centres (both nationally and internationally) as well as serving as a link with other actors in the production system.
• Scientific and legal advice on the protection capacity of the initiative and its scope of execution. Advice and support to researchers on issues of intellectual property, through meetings with them explaining the various procedures and steps to protect their idea and a possible patent application.
• Contacts established with other institutions and hospitals for the purpose of laying the groundwork for future collaboration in the exploitation of patents, signing joint ownership contracts with the centres for this purpose.
• Functioning as a channel for project development and industrial prototypes generating alliances with win-win systems and attending Ministry projects together. Agreed collaborations with engineering companies for the purpose of being able to carry out joint development of industrial projects involving researchers from IdiPAZ.
• Collaborating with the Government and with other social and economic agents to define mechanisms and develop procedures that foster links between the scientific and technical sector and the Company. Improving communication systems between the scientific-technological environment and businesses throughout the country, acting as an agent for development, cohesion and technological development of its industrial fabric.
B. Protecting research results (intellectual and industrial property) through:
• Management of patents that are generated as a result of the research results of our research staff.
• Conducting searches and studies and/or patentability reports.
• Monitoring and controlling the different technological newsletters in order to verify whether there has been an infringement on our rights of exclusivity as a result of new patent publications.
• Negotiation, drafting, revising and/or correction of various standard contracts to manage the legal relationship between innovators and institutions or companies: partnership contracts with companies, confidentiality agreements, nondisclosure and noncompetition with researchers, joint ownership contracts with other institutions or centres, licensing for patent exploitation, service delivery contracts for research projects.
C. Identifying and analysing the different innovative ideas generated within IdiPAZ that might be transferable and have spread among companies and institutions through various regional, national and international channels:
• Detecting new offers and requests in the business world.
• Information, advice and boosting of our research community on R&D regional, national and European programmes, supporting the development of projects.
• Guiding the lines of work of the researchers based on the R&D needs of industrial sectors.
• Search for partners through the agreement of companies interested in technology and venture capital management companies as financial support.
• Active search for innovation in specialties with high technology needs.
• Identifying changes in technology for its daily use.
• Identifying which individuals or groups would be more likely to generate innovation.
The aim of the OTRI is that innovation, in addition to its actual value, be a strategic business process, effective and results-oriented, able to generate new value and sustained growth. This, in addition to surveillance technology and its interaction with the industry, is a work and action tool.
Sara Fernández Morata
Telephone.: + 34 91 727 75 76
Raúl Román Cañizares
Portfolio of services